This website is part of Undergraduate Advising & Learning Communities. We provide undergraduate students a variety of opportunities and services designed to facilitate the best academic experience possible. 609 Goodell Building, UMass Amherst.
Frequently Asked Questions
- If I don't have a car, how can I travel between the five colleges?
- If I want to drive, where can I park at the other schools?
- Can I eat at the other schools' Dining Halls?
- What if the schedules between UMASS and the other schools are not the same?
- I requested a course during pre-registration. How do I know if I got my Five College course?
- How do I know if I am registered properly for my Five College course?
- Are there exceptions that allow first semester freshmen to participate in the Five College Interchange?
- What if I want to drop a Five College course during Add/Drop but it hasn't appeared yet on my schedule?
- What if my Five College course doesn't appear on my schedule until after Add/Drop ends?
Transportation between the five colleges is made easy by the Five College Buses. These buses are made available to students free of charge and travel frequently between campuses. Please see the PVTA website for more information.
At Hampshire and Mt. Holyoke colleges, you can park on campus. Go to their Registrar's Office for more information.
Yes! You should go to Franklin Dining Hall with a copy if your schedule that shows your Five College classes.
UMASS students should follow UMASS registration dates. You should pay attention to the academic calendar for the other schools, which can be found here. Important dates such at the first day of classes and holidays are listed there. These may or may not be the same as UMASS.
For registration, UMass students should follow UMass registration dates. For attendance, you should pay attention to the academic calendar of the other schools, which can be found here. Important dates such as the first day of classes and holidays are lsited there. These may or may not be the same as those at UMass.
When pre-registration ends, you should wait 2 to 3 weeks. If you received your course, it will appear on your SPIRE schedule. If you have registration holds, or exceed our credit limit, the class will not appear on your schedule. Please resolve these issues. As always, be sure to check the accuracy of your course information. You should be sure to attend the first day of the course to check for any changes in enrollment. When in doubt about whether you were successfully enrolled in a course, please contact the Five College Interchange office at UMass.
If you are properly registered for your Five College course, it will be on your SPIRE schedule. As always, be sure to check the accuracy of your course information. You will also be registered for your course at the host school. Please note that registration for Blackboard, Ella, and other web-based learning programs at the other school does not necessarily imply registration for the course. If you have registration holds, or exceed our credit limit, the class will not appear on your schedule. It is your responsibility to ensure proper registration. When in doubt about whether you were successfully enrolled in a course, please contact the Five College Interchange office at UMass.
7. Are there exceptions that allow first semester freshmen to participate in the Five College Interchange?
The Interchange does allow exceptions for first semester freshmen if the course they request is to fulfill a major requirement in a Five College Major, such as Astronomy, Dance, and to continue the study of a language.
8. What if I want to drop a Five College course during Add/Drop but it hasn't appeared yet on my schedule?
Contact the UMass Registrar's Office (413-545-0555).
When forms are handed in close to the end of Add/Drop, sometimes they are not added to your schedule until after Add/Drop ends. You should come to the UMass Five College Interchange office to obtain a copy of your receipt toward the end of Add/Drop if the course has not appeared on your schedule. Your receipt is your proof of enrollment until the course appears on SPIRE.